Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Books read, reading, and to read

I've seen other people do this and I have yet to remember to do it, so I'm going to write down the books I've read this year.

So far I've read:
Gregor the Underlander series (5 books) by Suzanne Collins (of Hunger Games fame)

  • These were fun and well written books. Not as intense as The Hunger Games. More of a Hunger Games "light," I suppose. The books were a quick read - I read them in 5 days. Helps that I was able to stay up quite late and read them.
Discussion of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon

  • This is for my book club. I read it in a few days. It was a very interesting read. It's written from the point of view of an autistic teenager. It's probably not a book I'd have picked up for myself, but I enjoyed it very much.


So - six books so far. I want to re-read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out, but I'm waiting for Rob to finish them the first time around. He's on the last book. I bought my sister, nephew, Irene, and I Hunger Games shirts from teefury.com. Irene and I are REALLY excited about this movie and desperately hoping that it's good and doesn't add a bunch of bologna that isn't necessary and isn't in the books. The actors I know in it, I think are spot on for the characters they are playing. That's a good sign.

On my Currently Reading list I have:

Book 2 of Game of Thrones. I had to stop reading this for a while because it was giving me graphic dreams when what I really needed was rest.

The Anxiety Cure which was recommended by Dr. C-H.

The two books I am most anticipating this year?

Lydia Netzer's Shine Shine Shine which comes out in July (AND, I am hoping beyond hope that she really is able to come to Sparks and do a book signing - it is my desperate and fervent hope, not only because I want EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends and acquaintances here in this town to meet her and buy her brilliant book, BUT, she is also a very good friend of mine and she lives far far away in Virginia, so we don't get to see one another nearly enough). By the way, the first Shine link is to the FB page. The second link is to the goodreads.com contest to WIN Shine Shine Shine

The second book I am greatly looking forward to owning is Joshilyn Jackson's A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty. Joshilyn (the h is silent, for new readers of ardent peace) has also written gods in Alabama, her first published novel which started out with quite a bang! Next came my very favorite so far, Between, Georgia, then The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, and her last book (previous to A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty) is Backseat Saints. One of the very very awesome things about Joshilyn's books is that if you choose to get the audio version, she has been the one to read all of them except for gods in Alabama. She is amazing.

No comments: