Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Is it Wednesday already?

Things are mostly back to normal here at Chez De Haan. I am having little bouts of anxiousness, but part of that, I think, is the adrenaline overload from last Friday. It was interesting to me to realize that it was hard to take the kids to school on Monday. Driving past everything I went past on Friday when I thought that Rhys was missing. I took two colossal cookies to school that said Thank You on them for the staff. Many people stopped us on the way to the classroom, lots of people were very happy just to see Rhys. It was good.

Yesterday and today I've kept Rhys home. He's been fighting something, nothing awful or huge, but a bug of some sort. He had a slight headache on Sunday and had a runny nose that started on Monday but got worse Monday night and Tuesday. He has no fever. I had a sub job yesterday afternoon, so, happily, Mom was able to come over and watch Rhys for the afternoon while I worked. He had nearly no computer time and no TV time all day. He and I worked on his Lego Hogwarts Castle, then he worked on it with Nana. It was a quiet and thoughtful way for him to spend the day. I had high hopes that he'd go back to school today. He went to bed earlier than usual and slept really well. Alas, this morning, he sounded snarfly and was coughing. I figured the better part of valor was to keep him home one more day. We've got his math book, so he's all caught up there. Not sure what else he is missing today. We went through all of his lines for the 3rd grade musical/play. He's doing great with it!
I got a call to work in 4th grade today. Sad I couldn't take it. I don't like having to say no to jobs.

It's been hard for me to go walking the past few days - happily, Irene is 12 and able to watch Rhys while Rob and I go for quick walks after dinner (just here in the neighborhood - Irene with her phone, us with ours - always just a max of 5 minutes away), so that's good. I will need to walk more this weekend to make up for the short walks :)

I need to head to the grocery store to get some butter - thought I had plenty in the fridge, but that is not the case. I'm going to make some toffee crunch for the school police officers that helped on Friday. Had hoped to do that today, but now it's on the docket for tomorrow.

And on a completely different note -- today, Joshilyn Jackson's book A Grown Up Kind of Pretty launches! Hooray hooray!! I can't wait to get mine! And perhaps tomorrow, I will go to BN and find her books and make sure they are all facing outward - not just the spine showing, but the beautiful picture. Perhaps I should call the independent book stores around here and see if they have it already too. Then I will go in and talk her up in a big way. Because I've actually met her in person and talked briefly with her on the phone and been on a yahoogroup with her for *gasp* 11 years, AND I've read all of her books and I have the audiobooks for Between, Georgia and Backseat Saints which just happen to be read by Joshilyn, I feel like I can talk her up honestly and vociferously!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.
Naya Women's Jada Pump