Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Twilight books

Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I decided I needed to read these books because I was just filled with all sorts of judgement when I saw VERY young girls reading them. As a substitute teacher, I work in grades pre-k through 6th. I've seen girls in 3rd grade reading the Twilight books. It was shocking to me - but it was based on hearsay. So, I decided to read them myself.

I really enjoyed the books. The story is told well and I enjoyed the characters. Bella was not as anti-life as I'd imagined her to be nor was she a poor student. I was sorry to see the books end. I enjoyed all of the characters and how Ms. Meyer built them up and showed them to us.

I still truly feel that just because a child is able to read the words, they shouldn't read the book until they are much older. Perhaps when Irene is in 7th grade I might let her read them. I know that understanding and maturity vary, but 3rd grade seems much too young. And with some of the 6th graders I know, I feel that is too young for most of them as well.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: