Tuesday, December 05, 2006

holiday edition of...

getting to know you :)

Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends:

Welcome to the 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends!

You know the drill. Highlight, copy, and paste and change my answers to your answers. Be sure to let me know in the comments if you do it too.


NAME: kristen

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? hot chocolate!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa leaves unwrapped and wrapped presents

3. Colored lights on tree/house colored or white? both

4. Do you hang mistletoe? usually (irene called it Missing Toe when she was little)

5. When do you put your decorations up? after Thanksgiving — that’s what we try to do — usually everything is done by the 2nd week of december

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? tamales

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: christmas memories? watching and helping my dad put up the christmas lights the day after thansgiving, going and looking at the christmas lights around town, with mom it was always getting out the special ornaments and getting a new special ornament. getting out the creches, opening the amazing stockings

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t know that I ever believed in the actual Santa Claus – even as a child, but when moni and dad got married, I knew that my new cousins all believed w/o a doubt and I never told them what I knew. that said, I absolutely believe in the spirit of santa claus. both of my children know for fact that santa exists and that we can help him in different ways.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We often do Christmas Eve w/mom and ken and open presents with them at that time. we also did christmas eve whenever we were alone – but once we had kids, we do the main event on christmas morning.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? lights, special ornaments, lights, more special ornaments, did I already say lights?

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? love it to play in, but not loving the shoveling – haha! I’m sticking with marilyn’s answer!!

12. Can you ice skate? yes. I haven’t gone since I was 9 or 10 though. so I’m just going on the assumption that I can still do it...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? from when I was a little girl? I don’t remember a particular favorite...i can’t remember if I got the handmade dollhouse for christmas or not – and one year I got fashion plates that were lots of fun. I always got several books which I loved – and still do. oh! mom made me a wonderful soft bear one year – very black very velvety. I named him grendel.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? being with love ones and sharing the magic of christmas w/irene and rhys

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? russian tea cakes, I think. or maybe eskimo cookies. or my gramma florence's overnight cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? hmmm...making tamales w/my family in southern california, and picking out/decorating the christmas tree w/all of our special ornaments, watching rob make pull apart with irene. I suspect that he might let rhys help this year. in fact, it will probably be extra special b/c we’ll be in lodi w/his folks and he can make them with his mom!

17. What tops your tree? the angel that my mom made when I was 3 or 4. I can still remember watching her make it. it’s one of the most special things on our tree and it makes me hugely happy.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving ? giving

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Joy to the World (especially the julie andrews version)

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? not really a fan of the candy cane...unless it’s flavored in some other way other than peppermint

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I'll do this tomorrow but it is going to be hard since I haven't decorated in like a million years.

Carrie said...

What is pull apart?

Kara said...

mmmm, pull apart, carrie you're missing out. google girl! Google!

I'm with you on candy canes..I like the cinamon ones.

Kristen said...

thanks for doing it, carrie :) and pull apart is a yummy yeast bread - i think it's also called monkey bread? it's little balls of dough that are rolled in cinnamon sugar, pecans, butter, all good good and better. you do a bizillion of these little balls and put them into a bundt pan - bake them and then pull it apart.

hi kara :) ooh! the cinnamon ones ARE good!