Wednesday, April 11, 2007

teeth - perhaps not for the squeamish

bleh. for years and years i've had tooth nightmares - usually it's that my teeth are peeling - what a disconcerting feeling that is...even when it IS in a dream. i've had other teeth nightmares as well (like teeth falling out), but that's the one i remember most.

anyway, last year at some point, i chipped a tooth (the number 5 tooth). i didn't really realize that's what it was for a while. i thought i had a piece of something caught there...then i'd forget about it, then remember it, but i didn't make a dentist appointment for it. last week, i bit into something and my whole head went ZING!!!!!! oh gah! ick! ouch! and so i looked. well, crap. i have a freaking HOLE not just a tooth. why hadn't i even LOOOOOKED at it in all that time??? bleh. so, i found a dentist (by coincidence, it's the same one mom and ken go to) and told them the situation. today was the appointment. they numbed me up but good - b/c it's a front-ish tooth, i was numb on one side of my nose and even my eyelids were numb. odd sensation. they had a tv, but the only thing it would play (unless i was going to have a LOT LOT LOT of work done in which case, they could put on a movie) was Fox News. er, yeah, that wouldn't make me less tense. it would make me MORE tense. i told the hygenist that next time i'd bring my iPod. she said that was fine. i'm also going to bring rob's headphones. i can close my eyes and go into lala land while i'm being worked on, but the sounds the drill make just puts me on edge.

the cavity was very bad and very deep. the dentist said we will need to keep an eye on it :( bad kristen. i need to go back in may to get a 2nd filling put in on the other side of my mouth. it's apparently right against one of my amalgum fillings from when i was probably 10? so they will replace the amalgum and fill the cavity. delightful. bleh. THEN, at some other point, they'll do a cleaning. it's been more than 4 years since my last cleaning. bad bad bad kristen.

i'm sore now. he worked a long time getting the decay gone, so it's not so surprising that i'm a bit sore. i've taken arnica twice, i might take some more. right now i'm just exhausted mentally and physically. it's amazing that i'm not wide awake b/c my friend Irina plied me with much lovely tea. oh well.

the moral of the story....just go to the damned dentist when you first have a problem. AND, get regular cleaning.

7 comments:

Mel said...

Ouch! Funny I thought I was the only one with recurring teeth dreams! Mine will fall out one at a time or shatter and the dream won't end until every last tooth is gone. My SIL is our dental hygenist so she will never let us go longer than 6 months between appts, but even still my husband just had some tooth work done yesterday. He grits his teeth so hard in his sleep and during any physical activity. He goes to the dentist every 6 months, brushes and flosses with out fail and suddenly at his last appt they noticed his top front teeth are loose and he grit his teeth so hard he cracked one of his back teeth. He has been doing this for his whole life then POOF! within 6 months 3 teeth are in danger of coming out!
Good Luck with your next appt!

Shaz said...

You are so naughty for reminding mr about the dentist BUggAr, I dont like it at all. You are very Brave

Carrie said...

I'm bad like you. I haven't been in a few years. I even have dental insurance. My problem is that I have panic attacks and it doesn't help when you are stuck in a chair. They normally give that gas but still, I have to get there first. But since you made this post, I will make an appointment tomorrow. I'm down today and can't function.

Kristen said...

mel - ack ack ack!! i'm so sorry for your dh!!! i'm a grinder also. i have a night guard...i might even know where it is....maybe.....

shaz - just go! take an mp3 player with you. next time i go, i'll DEFINITELY have my iPod. the drilling sound is not so fun.

carrie -- GO GO GO!!! i took lots of rescue remedy before going. i haven't ever been w/a doctor that gave the gas. i've always gotten shots. GO GO GO!!! especially when you have dental insurance!!!!! :)

Deb R said...

I'm soooo overdue for going to the dentist it isn't even funny. I detest the one I went to for so long here and haven't found another one yet, but I know I need to. Bleah.

I hope your toothies feel better tomorrow!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Oh ouchie! I'm sorry kristen, that you had such a tough time. At least the dentist can fix it, and it will feel so much better when it is all done.

Jaye said...

Kristen: you must take care of yourself. I know it is hard. I f you don't care for yourself, you won't be able to care for your lovely babies (not so babies anymore!). Be well!