Monday, May 07, 2007

still under the weather and BOOKS

I'm still feeling just generally ick. what's crazy is that i came home and slept from 12:30 - 5:30 or so. i was up for a wee bit, went back to bed and slept from 8 - 6:40! but still feeling a bit fluish.

blech.

i got irene to school and then came home w/rhys and just sort of collapsed for a while on the bed while the boychild played some mario.

and remember waaaaaay back on friday when i was telling you about how wonderful and fun it was to listen to irene read Petite Rouge Riding Hood by Mike Artell? well, he's got another cajunized book!!! I ordered it today!!!!! :) It's called Three Little Cajun Pigs and again, Claude dat ol' gater is in the story. I'm very excited about it. Even though the local amazon distribution center is 1/2 hour away, amazon is telling me i must wait until next monday to receive it....ah well. it will be worth the wait. And, i must also give props to Jim Harris. He's the illustrator of the books. It's fabulous fun to look at all the little fun bits in Petite Rouge. The little mousie is apparently in the new (to me) book as well.

while wandering around amazon.com, i also found that there are TWO MORE books in Debi Gliori's Pure Dead series!! They're both in hardback right now, so we'll wait a bit and see if we can stand not having them...i'm not sure if we will be able to wait or not. right now we're reading Pure Dead Trouble. I found these books when i was looking for another of her children's books (No Matter What and Polar Bolero are two that i can recite by heart i've read them so many times). then my brother ted gave irene two of the pure dead books for christmas. we've finished the first three and are reading the fourth. they are also challenging to read aloud.

because I can't do a scottish accent, i tend to do it all in an english accent - sometimes quite cockney, sometimes rather posh. probably all very fake. there are all sorts of names that are easy to read in my head (i read them first before we started reading them with irene). but try saying Auchenlochtermuchty Arms out loud - sometimes followed by Strega-Borgia or Strega Schloss. Or perhaps Lochnagargoyle. *smile* it's challenging but fun. rob has read more of them aloud than i have because it often ends up that he tucks irene in and reads with her and i read more and do the nighttime stuff more with rhys.

well, it's now several hours later than when i started this post and i'm finally feeling significantly better! i even ate dinner! and, more importantly, i *kept* dinner! yea me!

maybe tomorrow i'll tell you that the next book in the Charlie Bone series is coming soon too. so many books to add to my wishlist *beam*

5 comments:

MsT said...

Here's some virtual chicken soup and raspberry tea with honey and a DVD of of that movie you and DebR love with Tom Conti and Jobeth Williams and a warm floofy quilt to snuggle under. Doesn't that feel bettah? xxoo

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Adam is coming down with something again. Oh jeez.

Laume said...

Ah, I'm sorry you've been feeling cruddy. Me too. Or rather, I was - now I'm past the sleeping and achy part but I've still got the sinus pain and the hacky coughy wake up thing going on. Bleh.

I think the Pure Dead... books sound too adorable! I'm gonna order the first one for me. I'll like it even though it's a children's book, right?

Kristen said...

dara - thank you :D it was just the thing i needed. that movie is American Dreamer. perfect for so many things.

carrie - thanks. sorry about adam. i'm glad he's starting to feel a little better

laume - ABSOLUTELY these are books you'll enjoy too!!! they are great fun. I enjoyed them very much the first time and am enjoying reading them w/irene as well.

Jaye said...

Hope you are feeling better. Your blog entry from today didn't sound so punk.

I haven't read the books that you are discussing, but will look them up at the library. You and the kidlets might enjoy the Jon Scieszka books including Science Verse and Math Curse and one of our very favorites, Seen Art? He has written a bunch including the True Story of the Three Little Pigs. Check them out. Very funny.